Join us this month as we take part in a global movement against gender-based violence with 16 Days of Activism. The United Nations theme this year is Unite! invest to prevent violence against women and girls. In support we’re taking a bold stand against sexual harassment, our funding from the Mayor of London’s Violence Reduction Unit has helped us to continue with our powerful campaign, “It Is That Deep”
Together, we can create a safe and equal future for everyone. Share your voice, spread our message, and be a part of the change, Because… It is that Deep!
Campaigning against modern day sexual harassment
For young girls growing up in urban environments it can be hard to recognise and articulate harassment when it happens, as it’s often ‘normalised’ amongst peer groups, with inappropriate comments, touching and ‘ownership’ assumed to be the norm.
In this context, it’s important that young people develop an understanding of what sexual harassment looks like, as well as having the confidence to call out unwanted on and offline sexual behaviours and challenge it when it happens.
Introducing Tega, our programme lead
Tega, pictured above, is the lead for It is that Deep programme, a co-created syllabus, which is specifically designed to for both boys and girls in their early teens up to young adults.
In Tegas’ sessions girls and boys cover key topics such as:
- Educating young people on what sexual harassment looks like so they can decipher what situations are even if they’ve never encountered it before.
- The role, reactions and repercussions of sexual harassment between girls and boys.
- Addressing negative or traditional views and creating a safe space to answer honest questions whilst also changing the view of these traditional gender views.
- Teaching young people what consent is, and the parameters around consent – including being able to give consent and take it away even if they initially agreed to something.
- What giving consent needs to look like for it to be valid and accepted and giving them young people agency and power to say NO if they want.
We are the leading Schools Provider of Sexual Harassment education in Lewisham, if you are looking offer sexual harassment education programmes within your school please get in touch to book an introductory meeting.